WORLD WAR ONE DID NOT START FOR THE REASONS WE ARE TAUGHT:
IT WAS FOMENTED BY SOME POWERFUL UPPER CLASS BRITONS INCLUDING WINSTON CHURCHILL TO DESTROY ENGLAND'S ECONOMIC COMPETITOR--GERMANY
This actual origin of World War I is very persuasively proven by Gerry Docherty and Jim MacGregor in their book, Hidden History: The Secret Origins of the First World War.
This excellent and very persuasive book shows that members of the British upper class (including Winston Churchill) conspired (true use of the word here!) to instigate WWI many years before it began, for the purpose of destroying Britain's #1 economic competitor: Germany.
The consequences of the HORRIBLE war are enormous and awful:
1. the extreme loss of life during the war itself;
2. The anger at the extremely unjust and repressive Versailles Treaty made it possible for Hitler to gain power, leading to WWII and the Holocaust;
3. The extreme suffering of Russians who were forced by the Tsar to fight in WWI led to the overthrow of the Tsar and then the Bolshevik revolution;
4. The Bolshevik revolution (Germany sent Lenin to Russia--its WW1 enemy--hoping he would lead a revolution) and Stalin's subsequent repression of Ukrainians, and the Hitler Nazis (and their opposition to Stalin and to Jews) combined to create the Far Right (Nazis) in Ukraine and their hatred of and oppression of the Russian-speaking Ukrainians;
5. The conflict in Ukraine is increasing the risk of thermonuclear war because a) the U.S. aims to re-start the Cold War (because it needs a bogeyman enemy and Russia is its first choice, which is why it even armed the Soviet Union big time all during the Cold War to ensure that it would be a sufficiently frightening bogeyman enemy) using Ukraine as the pretext and b) Russia views (understandably!) the U.S. using Ukraine (always threatening to make it a NATO nation with nuclear missiles on Russia's border) this way as an existential threat.
So thank you, Winston Churchill and your upper class buddies; what would we ever have done without you?
Scroll down for your selected page.